When my refrigerator went kaput last summer, I spent an entire day researching a replacement – comparing cost, quality, Energy Star ratings, company profiles, etc (while simultaneously consuming all the ice cream in my lukewarm freezer).
With big purchases, I’m all about digging deep to ensure that the product I’m investing in matches not only my budget – but my values too. But I admit, with it comes to day-to-day, grab-and-go buys, I don’t always do my homework. I mean, who has space in their brain to remember which juice brand hinders clean water access abroad or which pasta sauce earned a Greenwash Award for public deception?
When Endangered Species Chocolate was named one of the 20 Best Companiesby Better World Shopper, they sent us a complimentary copy of the indispensable guide. The Better World Shopping Guide (available for ipod too) can turn a grocery list into a powerful tool for changing the world. It grades popular products on five essential issues:
- Human Rights
- The Environment
- Animal Protection
- Community Involvement
- Social Justice
Using an easy to grasp A+ to F grading system, I can quickly identify companies to lovingly embrace (“Corporate Heroes”) and ones to avoid like the plague (“Corporate Villains”). A good place to start is with changes that make to the most impact, Top 10 Things to Change. Me, I’m tucking this pocket-sized guide in my purse and heading to the grocery store. Hopefully fellow shoppers will stop and ask why I have my nose in a book. I’ll give them a sweet, green-minded earful – especially if I don’t see reuseable shopping bags on them! *wink*
Which products/services have your switched in order to better align with your beliefs and values?
Leave a comment
- RT @AWF_Official: Congrats to @ESC_Chocolate on being the 1st American-made #chocolate using fully traceable Fairtrade cocoa from West Afri…
- RT @jonscott81: #Indy's @ESC_Chocolate is America’s 1st choco-brand w/ fully traceable W.African cocoa http://t.co/f0iUfdEFEV Good on ya!
- RT @AWF_Official: @ESC_Chocolate not only supports AWF, it's also 1st USA-made chocolate using fully traceable Fairtrade cocoa from W Africa
- RT @IndyMonthly: Looks like we’ll be buying up even more @ESC_Chocolate bars soon: http://t.co/f0iUfdEFEV (by @Taylor_L_Ellis) #EatSheet
- RT @JoyfulVegan: But of course, @ESC_Chocolate! :) What better combination is there than saving animals + vegan chocolate? http://t.co/ccQZ…