Walk into our production facility and you’ll see a shiny, metallic maze of tanks, tubes and tracks that continuously melt, move and wrap chocolate bars that support conservation. How do we power all of those chocolate-filled machines? With wind! 100% of the electrical energy used to power our office, warehouse and production facility comes from clean, green wind power. This renewable energy source is harvested from wind farms here in Indian, purchased through Indianapolis Power & Light Green Power Option.
In order to make a commitment to renewable energy, we needed to find room in our budget. Interestingly enough, our investment in wind power was made possible by greening up our energy usage. A 2009 power audit prompted us to make smart improvements to our HVAC system – which reduced Endangered Species Chocolate’s energy consumption by 40%. A small portion of this savings was all that was needed to invest in purchasing 100% renewable energy for our building. Endangered Species Chocolate has been an EPA Green Power Partner ever since!
Our annual green power purchase eliminates 501 metric tons of CO2 emissions associated with our purchased electricity – that’s the equivalent of taking 110 cars off the road every year. Buying green power is truly one of the easiest and most effective ways we’ve improved our facility’s environmental performance.
Comment and share how you’ve reduced energy consumption in your home or office.
3 Comments to “Windy Chocolate”
Leave a comment
THE TWEET FEED
- You're so welcome! RT @AWF_Official: @ESC_Chocolate @chigirl30 @CureT1Diabetes @xerces_society Thank you!
- Unplugging These 6 Gadgets Will Cut Your Electricity Bill (& carbon footprint) http://t.co/eEvMrKzDVR via @motherjones
- RT @GreenBEANMO: Melted Endangered Species Chocolate & #organic strawberries for #nationalgirlfriendday, ladies? http://t.co/KK6gOLOkHx
- 12 Places Congress Should Protect Now http://t.co/KD8JfSvwri via @pewtrusts
- RT @AWF_Official: Want to help save Africa's #elephants from extinction? Sign our pledge. Take a stand: http://t.co/olZSjrDrNv. http://t.co…