Photo credit: Cindy Tucey, landscape and wildlife photographer
It’s that time of the year…Tax Season. While sea otters don’t pay taxes, we can help them when we pay ours. Since 2007, sea otters in California have benefited from over $2 million in taxpayer contributions that go towards efforts to protect and recover sea otters in California. This funding is critical because currently there is no other funding source for sea otter research and conservation efforts in California.
Each year the California Franchise Tax Board sets a minimum amount needed for each check off to meet in order for the Fund to appear on tax forms in the following year. This year the California Sea Otter Fund needs to reach $277,666.
So, please help sea otters in California during this tax season. They are dependent on any contribution you can make. Just seek out line 410 on your California Tax income form and give as little as $1.
You can find out more information on the California Sea Otter Fund and how the money has been used in the past by clicking here. Spread the word to your California tax-paying friends that they can help sea otters too. Thanks!
Article by guest blogger, Jim Curland, Advocacy Program Director, Friends of the Sea Otter
Friends of the Sea Otter, founded in 1968, is an advocacy group dedicated to actively working with state and federal agencies, scientists, educators, and the public to maintain, increase and broaden the current protections for the sea otter, a species currently protected by state and federal laws and having two populations on the Endangered Species list.
Leave a comment
- #wildlifeheroes https://t.co/czmEgCZOVM
- UR chocolate bar helps @AWF_Official outfit rangers w/ anti-poaching kits allowing them to spend more time on patrol #WorldRangerDay
- #cute baby elephant playing with a flock of birds in Africa's @SANParksKNP via @LatestKruger https://t.co/aRlbscHiht
- Reminder: wildlife orgs wishing to apply for our 2016-2018 10% GiveBack must submit app by July 31st http://t.co/se3ZW2M9Bs
- All set up and ready to show off Cocoa Spreads and 60% Dk Choc Bars to retailers at @strongrtogethr NCG Show! http://t.co/TARTA8krPz