Friday, May 16th is Endangered Species Day – a day to recognize conservation efforts to save at-risk species and habitats. Let’s celebrate the fact that over the past three years, you’ve helped us raise over $855,000 for conservation groups! Take a closer look at specific programs your Endangered Species Chocolate purchases and our 10% Promise are funding.
Partner: African Wildlife Foundation | Program: African Apes Initiative
“Endangered Species Chocolate’s 10% GiveBack program is making a demonstrable difference in helping AWF to conserve the natural resources and heritage that are vital to Africa’s environmental and economic prosperity.” – Kurt Redenbo, Director, Foundation & Corporate Relations, African Wildlife Foundation
Africa is home to 4 of the world’s 5 great ape species. Unfortunately, all 4 are endangered or critically endangered. Through the newly launched African Apes Initiative, AWF works throughout West and Central Africa to protect great apes and their habitats.
- AWF prioritizes those great ape habitats most in need of conservation intervention;
- They work with park authorities and other on-the-ground partners to identify gaps in local conservation support;
- This program provides seed grants and technical support for critical interventions;
- AWF implements long term conservation strategies. Learn much more here.
Partner: The Xerces Society | Program: Bumble Bee Watch
“[Endangered Species Chocolate’s 10% donation] allows us to expand our work to protect pollinators in all landscapes across the U.S.” – Scott Black, Executive Director, The Xerces Society
Bumble Bee Watch is a collaborative effort to track and conserve North America’s bumble bees. This citizen science project allows for individuals to:
- Upload photos of bumble bees to start a virtual bumble bee collection;
- Identify the bumble bees in your photos and have your identifications verified by experts;
- Help researchers determine the status and conservation needs of bumble bees;
- Learn about bumble bees, their ecology, and ongoing conservation efforts; and
- Connect with other citizen scientists.
Partner: SEE Turtles | Program: Billion Baby Turtles
“Over the past 3 years, Endangered Species Chocolate grew to be the single largest supporter of SEE Turtles and SEEtheWILD, support that has been critical to the success of our programs.” – SEE Turtles 10% Promise Report
6 out of 7 species of sea turtles around the world are endangered or threatened. SEE Turtle program, Billion Baby Turtles, is helping reverse this decline by saving one billion baby turtles over the next decade. For every $1 raised, SEE Turtles saves at least 1 hatchling. Funds support vital nesting beach patrols across Latin America:
- Eastern Pacific Hawksbill Initiative
- Las Tortugas Research Station
- Paso Pacifico
- WILDCAST Costa Rica
- Cuba Marine Research & Conservation
- Flora, Fauna y Cultura
Be sure to join us on Facebook, May 12-16 2014, for a chocolate giveaway to celebrate Endangered Species Day! “Like” our 10% GiveBack Partners, XXX, XXX, XXX for additional opportunities to win.
2 Comments to “Chocolate Bar at Work”
Leave a comment
- No Tweets Available