Who are these people? What kind of person has such apathy – such a basic lack of fundamental respect? Who do they think is going to pick that up?
These questions ricocheted around my brain last week as I turned into the road leading to my house. A trail of trash littered the entire right hand side for a good 50 feet. Having this eyesore so close to home made me mad, sad and embarrassed. Not only was it a bad reflection on my neighborhood, it was also an ugly reminder that there are people that just don’t think or care about the health of our planet.
Instead of spending the day seething, I decided to get involved. Donning a pair of gloves that I usually reserve for more pleasant pastimes (gardening), I set out to set things right. Sticky plastic cups, random paper scraps, discarded fast food wrappers and other bits too miserable to mention were taken out of nature and put in their place. I filled an entire trash bag during my 15-minute walk.
Looking back down the now clean stretch of road, I felt protective. Woe to the person that tosses trash on MY street! (OK, who am I kidding – I’m not a confrontational person…I’ll just quietly be back out there, picking up others’ laziness) Although, according to Keeping America Beautiful, I may not have to. One of the strongest contributors to littering is the prevalence of existing litter. Picking up litter is one sure fire way to make a positive impact. I am now totally tuned in to litter. I see it everywhere (a mixed blessing of sorts) and you can bet I’m out there picking it up and putting it in its place!
Share your thoughts on litter; leave me a comment – let’s commiserate and cheer each other on!
9 Comments to “Bitter About Litter”
Leave a comment
THE TWEET FEED
- RT @whos_that_kmj: @ESC_Chocolate I do! You sent me some. It was gorgeous and yummy @yourebeauteous
- RT @halfkorean: @ESC_Chocolate I can't remember the magazine, but as soon as I saw your ad about 5 years ago, I placed an order online!
- Do you remember how you first discovered our chocolate? @yourebeauteous tells her @ESC_Chocolate tale http://t.co/rLYNLzmQVv
- RT @HartzPets: Are you at #BlogPaws? Stop by the Hartz booth for some Bug Bites! http://t.co/7UOXVbbhol Look for the orange table cloth! @E…
- Take a look at endangered species through the eyes of children via @savespecies Youth Art Contest finalists http://t.co/QxJx4PZloA #ESday