I love going to The Apple Store! No, not the one with the flashy iPhones. The Apple Store is a seasonal fruit stand (+ tons of other tasty treats) in Fishers, Indiana – not too far from Endangered Species Chocolate’s factory. Open for two precious months each year (Sept-Oct), this is a spot to fall in love with the tastes of fall. Fresh, crip, locally grown apples – available by the bushel or peck – just imagine the smell that greets you when you walk in!
Apples are the best. But caramel apples are even better! That’s why I make a bee line for the rows of apples enrobed in buttery rich caramel and artfully garnished with (yum) chocolate. Speaking of my favorite topic, chocolate, this year my love affair of The Apple Store has deepened thanks to their new display of Endangered Species Chocolate bars! Live in our area? Plan your trip to Conner Prairie Interactive History Park here.
If you don’t have a place like this in your neck of the woods don’t fret. Caramel apples can be made at home with ease. And who couldn’t use a new family recipe/tradition that involves chocolate?
Chocolate Chunk Caramel Apples6 apples, washed and well dried 1 pkg (14oz) caramels, unwrapped 2 Tbsp water 3 3oz Endangered Species Chocolate Bars, broken into chip-sized bits
Remove apple stems and insert wooden stick into each apple.
Cook caramels and water in saucepan on med-low heat until caramels are completely melted. Stir frequently.
Dip apple or spoon caramel over apples to coat. Roll caramel-coated apple in broken chocolate pieces, gently pressing chocolate into caramel to secure.
Place your apple masterpieces on a waxed paper covered baking sheet; let sit for at least 20 minutes or until caramel is firm.
Tip: The only tricky part is coaxing the caramel to not slide off the apple as you are pressing on the chocolate chunks. To make life easier, refrigerate the apples (while you are cooking the caramels) to cool them slightly – this helps the caramel adhere better.
Leave a comment
THE TWEET FEED
- Run over to @run_chocolate's blog and hear about her 1st taste of your favorite flavors! http://t.co/CzU2ERwagQ http://t.co/He0eV5zLBt
- RT @AWF_Official: Lovebirds+chocolate=a whole lot of love! Our partners @esc_chocolate just launched their Fischer's Lovebird chocolate htt…
- Wish you were here with us at @NatProdExpo! booth 2950 #expowest http://t.co/k2SeSW96tE
- Tens of 1000s of manufacturers at @NatProdExpo ! @veraciousvegan shares her fav vegan finds from Day 1 of #ExpoWest http://t.co/59NVkrsnMi
- In new issue of @originmagazine: 25+ Top Animal Nonprofits and this mention of our new Creme Filled Bars! http://t.co/dgXip5Fm6A