Halloween is right around the corner. Time to start thinking about costumes! Instead of buying, consider a more eek-o-minded approach. Saturday, October 8th is National Costume Swap Day™ – a planet friendly way to get kids recycling in the funniest way possible – trading (reusing) princess gowns, witch’s hats and superhero capes!
Costume swaps or making your own costumes from materials you have on hand means less resources, less packaging and less waste. Wrap your mind around this fact: swapping (aka reusing) just half the costumes kids wear at Halloween would reduce annual landfill waste by 6,250 tons! It also means you can be original and decide exactly what you want to be for Halloween. Imagine trying to find a tornado costume at a big box store!
DIY Tornado Costume
- black t-shirt and pants
- masking tape
- assorted small tornado victims (leaves, toy tractor, barnyard animal figures)
Wrap masking tape up one pant leg (crinkle tape a bit for authentic tornado texture!). Repeat with t-shirt, wrapping tape in a spiral up to neck. Tie assorted toys and figures to short bits of fishing line. Tie fishing lined tornado victims to random spots on t-shirt and pants. Muss up child’s hair and brush a bit of dusty brown eyeshadow across face to complete the transformation!
Swaps can be as simple as getting together with a few neighbors or as large as a citywide event; check Costume Swap’s site to find local swaps you can attend. No matter the size of your event, a costume swap is the perfect way to save the resources it takes to create new costumes. Plus, trading costumes saves you money! Check out this incredibly cute video; twin brothers, Tristin and Tyler, show you how it’s done.
Find more ways to green up your holiday at Green Halloween®.
1 Comment to “Swap This Halloween”
Leave a comment
THE TWEET FEED
- Run over to @run_chocolate's blog and hear about her 1st taste of your favorite flavors! http://t.co/CzU2ERwagQ http://t.co/He0eV5zLBt
- RT @AWF_Official: Lovebirds+chocolate=a whole lot of love! Our partners @esc_chocolate just launched their Fischer's Lovebird chocolate htt…
- Wish you were here with us at @NatProdExpo! booth 2950 #expowest http://t.co/k2SeSW96tE
- Tens of 1000s of manufacturers at @NatProdExpo ! @veraciousvegan shares her fav vegan finds from Day 1 of #ExpoWest http://t.co/59NVkrsnMi
- In new issue of @originmagazine: 25+ Top Animal Nonprofits and this mention of our new Creme Filled Bars! http://t.co/dgXip5Fm6A