Halloween is right around the corner. Time to start thinking about costumes! Instead of buying, consider a more eek-o-minded approach. Saturday, October 8th is National Costume Swap Day™ – a planet friendly way to get kids recycling in the funniest way possible – trading (reusing) princess gowns, witch’s hats and superhero capes!
Costume swaps or making your own costumes from materials you have on hand means less resources, less packaging and less waste. Wrap your mind around this fact: swapping (aka reusing) just half the costumes kids wear at Halloween would reduce annual landfill waste by 6,250 tons! It also means you can be original and decide exactly what you want to be for Halloween. Imagine trying to find a tornado costume at a big box store!
DIY Tornado Costume
- black t-shirt and pants
- masking tape
- assorted small tornado victims (leaves, toy tractor, barnyard animal figures)
Wrap masking tape up one pant leg (crinkle tape a bit for authentic tornado texture!). Repeat with t-shirt, wrapping tape in a spiral up to neck. Tie assorted toys and figures to short bits of fishing line. Tie fishing lined tornado victims to random spots on t-shirt and pants. Muss up child’s hair and brush a bit of dusty brown eyeshadow across face to complete the transformation!
Swaps can be as simple as getting together with a few neighbors or as large as a citywide event; check Costume Swap’s site to find local swaps you can attend. No matter the size of your event, a costume swap is the perfect way to save the resources it takes to create new costumes. Plus, trading costumes saves you money! Check out this incredibly cute video; twin brothers, Tristin and Tyler, show you how it’s done.
Find more ways to green up your holiday at Green Halloween®.
1 Comment to “Swap This Halloween”
Leave a comment
- RT @NWF: Happy #ArborDay! Our Ten Favorite Trees for Wildlife: http://t.co/nAW1Dzl8RL http://t.co/XxoSkpdm2y
- RT @thelionmachine: My wife's favorite new breakfast on a banana. I want to use it as a cupcake frosting. @ESC_Chocolate http://t.co/VusfGE…
- Congrats to @JAOrquina @JohnCatfang @shbouzounis @harrical, the 4 winners of our Spread the Good Giveaway! Message shipping info our way.
- "Thanks to you new bee habitats created + milkweed seeds shared to help save monarch butterfly" - @xerces_society , a 10% GiveBack Partner