Over the years, I’ve managed to alienate boyfriends, good friends, my husband and (for shame) my 5-year old son with my die hard S’more beliefs. So be forewarned, I fear I may come off a tad pretentious in this post.
S’mores are seriously delicious and should be approached with as much culinary mastery as you can muster in the woods. Making a stellar S’more comes down to perfecting two things: your chocolate choice and marshmallow roasting technique.
Be it bitter sweet or true blue milk, the key is to find a quality chocolate that has the perfect thickness – or should I say thinness. The chocolate needs to be thin enough to be able to melt under the fleeting heat of a marshmallow. I swear by bite-sized chocolate squares(like these from Endangered Species Chocolate).
Repeat after me, “coals are key.” Unlike flames, coals slowly heat the marshmallow from the inside out, producing a hot gooey center under a toasty brown crust. For the love of the great outdoors, do not set deliberately set your marshmallow ablaze over the flames of the fire! As kids, we all experienced this camping faux pas, blew out the flame and ate the evidence. People that claim to love the taste of charred marshmallow, in my opinion, are confusing good taste with childhood nostalgia.
See, told you I would come across a tad persnickety. But surely there are others out there that hold strong opinions (aka love) for the S’more. I implore you – comment below and share your S’more techniques. Show my husband and child that I am not the only one that can kill a campfire kum ba yah vibe when S’mores aren’t taken seriously!
For ideas on dressing up your S’mores, throwing a S’more party and more, visit Endangered Species Chocolate’s S’mores photo album on Facebook.
Leave a comment
THE TWEET FEED
- RT @whos_that_kmj: @ESC_Chocolate I do! You sent me some. It was gorgeous and yummy @yourebeauteous
- RT @halfkorean: @ESC_Chocolate I can't remember the magazine, but as soon as I saw your ad about 5 years ago, I placed an order online!
- Do you remember how you first discovered our chocolate? @yourebeauteous tells her @ESC_Chocolate tale http://t.co/rLYNLzmQVv
- RT @HartzPets: Are you at #BlogPaws? Stop by the Hartz booth for some Bug Bites! http://t.co/7UOXVbbhol Look for the orange table cloth! @E…
- Take a look at endangered species through the eyes of children via @savespecies Youth Art Contest finalists http://t.co/QxJx4PZloA #ESday