We just wrapped up an Earth Day sweepstakes on Facebook, Win a Feel Good Moment, where we offered a chance to win $1000 for the non-profit of the winner’s choice. Choosing an eco-charity to support is a difficult one – there are so many great ones out there! We know this firsthand. To fulfill our 10% GiveBack Promise, we scour stacks of applications and dig deep into each organization. Here are shortcuts we’ve learned along the way to help you narrow down your choices and match up with the perfect conservation org:
1. PINPOINT YOUR CAUSE. Whether you’re interested in wildlife preservation, land conservation or climate change, there are resources to help you find an environmental org that supports your interests. Spend some time with a search engine to get a sense of the organizations out there that share your environmental concerns.
2. CHECK THEIR PERFORMANCE. Once you have a handful of organizations that speak to your eco concerns, Charity Navigator (for larger charities) and Better Business Bureau Giving Alliance (for local giving) are great places to dig deeper. These sites offer free tools to evaluate the financials, accountability and transparency of non-profits. With a few simple clicks, you’ll know which charities are trustworthy.
3. GET TO KNOW THEM, THEN JOIN THEM. Now that you’ve honed in on groups that mesh with your ideals, visit their websites. Sign up for their newsletters. Follow them on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc). You’ll quickly gain an understanding of the scope of their work and involvement with their members. A good match will make you feel good, excited and involved in making an impact.
What advice would you give to someone who’s looking for a charity to support? Comment below and share your experiences.
Leave a comment
- RT @jonscott81: #Indy's @ESC_Chocolate is America’s 1st choco-brand w/ fully traceable W.African cocoa http://t.co/f0iUfdEFEV Good on ya!
- RT @AWF_Official: @ESC_Chocolate not only supports AWF, it's also 1st USA-made chocolate using fully traceable Fairtrade cocoa from W Africa
- RT @IndyMonthly: Looks like we’ll be buying up even more @ESC_Chocolate bars soon: http://t.co/f0iUfdEFEV (by @Taylor_L_Ellis) #EatSheet
- RT @JoyfulVegan: But of course, @ESC_Chocolate! :) What better combination is there than saving animals + vegan chocolate? http://t.co/ccQZ…