The 10th annual Endangered Species Day is Friday, May 15th. This day is one time each year that we celebrate past and current conservation successes, while working together to achieve even more.
When the U.S. Senate started Endangered Species Day with a resolution in 2006, it provided the impetus for this now-yearly event. It is held the third Friday in May every year. A key part of Endangered Species Day is the youth art contest. Nearly a thousand students participated in this year’s Saving Endangered Species Youth Art Contest with the winning entries announced last month.
There are events scheduled around the country at schools, national parks, community centers, museums, and even backyard gardens. This year’s Endangered Species Day is bringing extra focus to the plight of monarch butterflies that have declined drastically in numbers. Many events are incorporating the planting of milkweed—a plant vital to the survival of monarchs.
The day is a time to celebrate the ongoing recovery of the many species that have seen their fates changed for the better by the Endangered Species Act and through the hard work of conservation and protection. Species like gray wolves, grizzly bears, black-footed ferrets, bald eagles, and California condors are just a few examples of these species.
Click here to find out more about Endangered Species Day and ways that you can participate.
This post comes to you from our friends at Endangered Species Coalition, a national network of hundreds of conservation, scientific, education, religious, sporting, outdoor recreation, business and community organizations working to protect our nation’s disappearing wildlife and last remaining wild places.
- 23 Healthy Office Snacks That Boost Memory + Brain Power via @snacknation http://t.co/TewiBE1DfE
- Starting our day with our new Cocoa Spreads on @Fox59!
- Get your hands on our new Cocoa Spreads online at @Vitacost and @VeganEssentials. #nonGMO #vegan #Fairtrade http://t.co/Ko3GSky63J
- Perfect 4 picnics: @PeanutButterCo @ESC_Chocolate Raspberry Dream Bars. TY @marigoldcrown for making it #vegan #GF http://t.co/3hGII6evmN
- ...and the survey says we want your input! Your answers will help mold future chocolates http://t.co/XtqKlWD9ku