During the holiday season, there are plenty of parties, get-togethers and hosting duties, so why not make something that’s not only decadently delicious, but can also be made ahead of time so you spent quality time with friends and family.
That’s where this Chocolate Mousse recipe using our Extreme Dark Chocolate comes in. Just spend 20 or 30 minutes making the mousse, pop the perfectly-sized jars into the fridge and then top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings when ready to serve.
- 4 oz. (20 squares) Endangered Species Chocolate Extreme Dark Chocolate (panther)
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 healthy pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- MELT chocolate until smooth in a double boiler and set aside.
- WHISK egg yolks in a small bowl until light and frothy and set aside.
- BRING cream sugar and salt to a soft boil in medium saucepan, and then reduce heat.
- POUR ⅓ of hot cream into bowl of egg yolks and whisk generously.
- POUR egg mixture slowly into remaining hot cream.
- STIR egg and cream mixture over medium heat until well blended.
- REMOVE from heat and pour into large mixing bowl when mixture nicely coats the back of a spoon.
- ADD chocolate slowly to bowl and blend well to make mousse base and set aside.
- BEAT cold heavy whipping cream with sugar in a separate bowl until peaks form and fold into mousse base a little bit at a time.
- POUR mousse into 4-6 parfait or custard dishes when color is uniform.
- COOL in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- SERVE chilled with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings or a Cacao Nib Pecan Cookie.
Makes 4-6 servings