Mole is a complex tasting sauce, which is supremely unique, and we can never get enough of it. It’s sweet, spicy, smoky, and, of course, delectably delicious.
Traditional mole has many ingredients and several steps to make. It can take several hours and sometimes an entire day to make an authentic sauce, but we have a version perfect for those of you with a busy lifestyle and a family which is ready in 30 minutes!
Begin by placing a large pan (in depth and width), on the stove over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and diced onion, cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
Once the onions are soft (but don’t let the onions turn brown or you’ve cooked them too long), add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper, lower the heat and continue frying for 1 minute.
Then add the red pepper and sweet potato. Mix everything well in the pan before adding the tomatoes, Endangered Species Chocolate Dark Chocolate with Espresso Beans shavings, bay leaves, kidney beans, and salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add 1 and 3/4 cups of water to the pan and continue stirring.
Bring the pan to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, then remove lid to allow for some of the water to evaporate and thicken the sauce. The sauce will stick to the bottom of the pan if left alone so be sure to stir occasionally.
While the sauce is simmering, cook your rice. Add some paprika to the rice for flavor and to also make the rice a beautiful pale red.
As the rice and sauce cooks, prepare the tofu. Start by draining the tofu by pressing gently between paper towels until dry then cut into bite-sized cubes.
Toss the tofu cubes in cornstarch to coat them evenly, then add a dash of salt and pepper
Heat about 3-4 tablespoons of oil to coat the pan and fry tofu until all sides are lightly browned. About 2 minutes a side.
When the sauce is ready, add in half of the corn and the juice from a whole lime. Use the rest of the corn to serve as a side with the mole.
Place tofu, rice, and corn on a plate and drizzle mole sauce over tofu. The last step is to enjoy!
30 Minute Vegan Mole Recipe
30 Minute Vegan Mole Recipe
- 2 packages of extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely or crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 kg sweet potato chopped into 2cm chunks (roughly 2 medium sized ones)
- 2 red peppers chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 bar of Endangered Species Chocolate Dark Chocolate with Espresso Beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 x 14 oz can of kidney beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x 14 oz can sweetcorn drained
- Juice of 1 lime plus lime wedges to serve
Directions for Mole sauce
- ADD 1 tablespoon of olive oil and diced onion to pan and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- ADD garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne, lower heat and cook for 1 more minute.
- ADD red pepper and sweet potato
- MIX, then add tomatoes, shavings of Endangered Species Chocolate Dark Chocolate with Espresso Beans chocolate bar, bay leaves, kidney beans, and salt and pepper to taste
- ADD 1 and 3/4 cups of water
- BOIL pan contents then SIMMER for 20 minutes
- STIR occasionally
- REMOVE from heat
- ADD half the corn and the juice from a lime