CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD
Original recipe and images: Diane Garvey, @thebeetdrop on Instagram
Say hello to super easy vegan Chocolate Chip Shortbread that will wow your taste buds. And when we say easy, we mean 4-ingredients and almost no time to whip up! These crispy shortbread cookies are filled with our Premium Oat Milk Chocolate Chips and drizzled with an extra dose of delicious chocolate. Diane has done it again with this simple, yet stunning recipe.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Recipe developed by The Beet Drop – Diane Garvey
Makes 15, 2” x 4” cookies
- 1 cup softened plant-based butter
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Mix in flour.
- Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
- Put dough on parchment paper, and shape into a rectangle that is 2” tall and 4” wide. Wrap in parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325° f.
- Remove chilled dough from the refrigerator and unwrap. Slice dough into ¼ – ½” thick slices. Place sliced cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2” apart. 7. Bake for 18-22 min. Shortbread should be barely golden on the edges. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Finish cooling on cooling rack.
- For an almond flavor swap out half of the vanilla extract for almond extract. 2. For circular shortbread cookies, shape the dough into a log before chilling. 3. Store in airtight container for up to a week.
- These cookies freeze well. Just be sure to wrap well before freezing to avoid freezer burn.
- Add some flare to your cookies with a chocolate drizzle. Simply place ¼ cup chocolate chips in a small cup or bowl and microwave in 15-second increments, stirring well between each increment. Stop microwaving once most of the chips are melted. Get the rest to melt by stirring. Use a fork or spoon to drizzle shortbread with chocolate. I like to do this on my cooling rack, with parchment paper underneath for easy cleanup.
Enjoy! If you make this recipe, be sure to post it to your social media and tag us @eschocolate on IG and @EndangeredSpeciesChocolate on FB!