CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES
Just imagine… steam rising from cakes fresh from the hot oven. Your guests wide-eyed and anxious for a taste. Then as you break into the cake with your fork, liquid hot chocolate slides from the inside like a delectable Vesuvius, satisfying everyone’s voracious sweet tooth from the first taste to the last.
This is the aptly named Chocolate Lava Cake and not only are they incredibly scrumptious, but they’re also simple to make!
We used the Endangered Species Chocolate Extreme Dark Chocolate with bittersweet chocolate to create a supremely rich experience that will have you scraping your plate with your fork.
While preparing the Chocolate Lava Cakes, we recommend the double boiling method to melt the chocolate because there is a much lower chance of burning the chocolate while melting.
Serve the Chocolate Lava Cakes as soon as they come out of the oven for the ultimate gooey experience! It pairs great with vanilla ice cream too (let’s be real though, a Chocolate Lava Cake pairs great with pretty much everything).
Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 6 oz. (2 bars) Endangered Species Chocolate Extreme Dark Chocolate (panther)
- 1 cup Smart Balance Spread (NOT light)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup White whole wheat flour
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- MELT chocolate slowly in a double boiler. When melted, remove from heat and stir in Smart Balance, until it melts. In another bowl, whip the eggs and sugar with a whisk until the mixture is a little frothy. Stir the melted chocolate into the egg mixture and then gradually add the flour. Spray 4 individual ramekins with non-stick spray and pour in chocolate batter. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Turn ramekins upside down onto dessert plates and serve.
- TIPS: These are best served piping hot. To make ahead of time, follow recipe until batter is poured in ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and set aside. When ready, bake for 15 minutes right before serving.
- 15-17 minutes baking leaves you with a super-delicious, gooey center. If you want them a little more done, simply cook for another 3-5 minutes and you’ll have an incredibly dense, moist chocolate cake.
Makes 4 servings